Today we’re looking at a beer from Abita Brewing. Their Restoration Pale Ale was originally created to raise money for restoration efforts in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina. The beer raised over $550,000 for hurricane relief. Today the beer continues with the name even after the fund raising is over. Considered one of Abita’s flagship beers, it helps to round out their offerings and is definitely a great representation of an American Pale Ale. Let’s take a look at Abita Restoration Pale Ale.
- Brewery – Abite
- Beer Name – Restoration Pale Ale
- ABV – 5.2%
- Style – American Pale Ale
- Serving Type – Bottle into Perfect Pint®
- Brewery Location – Louisiana
- Availability – Year Round
- Color – Light amber/gold with excellent clarity
- Head/Retention – Solid white head fades to good remaining head, excellent lacing
- Aroma – Citrus with a floral backing
- Taste – Grapefruit citrus taste with a hint of malt.
- Finish – no aftertaste but a clean, crisp feeling.
My overall impression of Abita’s Restoration Pale Ale is a very good one. This is a lighter tasting beer than, say, a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but in a good way. Citrus notes are up front in both aroma and taste, with very slight maltiness showing through. The beer has excellent clarity and a light amber color I would expect from a pale ale. The head retention is excellent, but this might be due to the Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass I am drinking out of. The cascade hops come out the more the beer warms, dominating the taste and aroma. The other hops are definitely present but not overpowering. Exactly what I want from a good pale ale.
I do feel the hop character could be slightly more predominant, and that a slight aftertaste might be good as well. The beer is almost too clean tasting for an American Pale Ale.
Craft Beer Academy Score
Each category is out of 5 possible points, with the total score being out of 30.
Abita Restoration Pale Ale rated a 25 out of 30, giving it an 83% CBA Score.
Thanks for checking out this review of Abita’s Restoration Pale Ale. Check out my other beer reviews too.
Until next time,