Welcome to session 20 of the Craft Beer Showdown Podcast. In this episode I sat down again with my good friend Andy to pick his brain about some home brewing tips, tricks, and what he considers the top seven tips for home brewing success. I first talked to Andy about home brewing back in session 14 and since that is my most popular episode to date, I thought there might be some more information he could share.
Andy’s top 7 list:
- Make a yeast starter
- Cleaning and sanitation
- Aeration and Oxygenation
- Temperature control
- Best ingredients possible
He goes pretty in-depth into each of these and I try my best to give my experience with each as well, as I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to home brewing. Andy is a BJCP certified judge as well as the best home brewer I’ve had the pleasure of talking to. If you have questions or just want to say hi, his Twitter handle is @JagoffBrewer.
Here are the links that were mentioned in the show so you can find what we were talking about.
- Yeast: A Practical Guide book by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff
- MrMalty.com Yeast Tools
- Brewing Tools and Supplies
- Check out Audible.com for a free audiobook and some great titles in the brewing category.
- If you want to find some great brewing supplies, I recommend Midwest Brewing Supply. They are an affiliate with me so if you like shopping with them click my link to get there and I make a few bucks to help run the show.
- When you shop on Amazon, follow this link to get there and every purchase you make gives a few percent to the Craft Beer Academy and helps with the cost of running the site and Podcast. I really appreciate it.
- The Rare Beer Club ships beer out to you monthly and lets you try some big bottles you might not be able to get in your area.