Welcome to Session 15 of the Craft Beer Showdown Podcast. In this episode, I take my show on the road and go visit Southbound Brewing Co. out of Savannah, GA, thanks to a well-timed vacation because hey, who actually relaxes on their vacation, right? Southbound Brewing is the first production brewery in Savannah and as such, has had their share of red tape and issues getting their brewery up and running.
The co-founders Smith Matthews and Carly Wiggins are definitely not new to the brewery scene as both have worked for Sweetwater Brewing and another startup brewery before making the jump into starting their own. Smith attended the Seibel Institute of Technology for Brewing Sciences, which is what helped him gain the skills he needed to not only brew, but run the show. Add in the third Southbound employee, Alex Breard who also has a Seibel degree, and you can see why their beer is outstanding.
An all-new, fully automated brewhouse helps Smith and Alex handle the huge demand for Southbound beer, which is good, since they are the only two guys working on the brewhouse.
Some of the brews I got to sample are:
- Scattered Sun Belgian Wit -Belgian Witbier – 5.2%, 15 IBU
- Iron Lion Pale Ale – American Pale Ale – 5.8%, 40 IBU
- Hoplin’ IPA – American IPA – 6.2%, 65 IBU
- Day Trip’ler – Belgian Style Tripel – 9.5%, 30 IBU
Overall, I was extremely impressed with Smith, Carly, and Southbound Brewing as a whole. I’m expecting big things from them and can’t wait to stop down on my next vacation southbound.
- Southbound Brewing Co.
- Southbound’s Twitter
- Southbound’s Facebook
- When you shop on Amazon, follow this link to get there and every purchase you make gives a few percent to the Craft Beer Academy and helps with the cost of running the site and Podcast. I really appreciate it.
- The Rare Beer Club ships beer out to you monthly and lets you try some big bottles you might not be able to get in your area.
- Subscribe in iTunes here.
- Subscribe in Stitcher Radio here.
- View the video and subscribe in YouTube here.